A little bored with Taco Tuesday? Switch it up with Tostada Thursday (but, really, you can eat these any day of the week). Our recipe piles all of your favorite toppings onto a crispy tortilla—and it’s good for you too. You’ll get fiber-filled beans, nutrient-dense greens, and calcium-rich Greek yogurt, and you can add any other toppings you fancy. Get ready to meet (and eat) your new favorite lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons canned/prepared refried beans, black beans, or pinto beans
- 1 small handful shredded lettuce or greens of your choosing
- 2 tablespoons diced tomato
- 1 half avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon low-fat Greek yogurt (this is a healthy swap for sour cream)
- Any other toppings you’d like, such as cooked meat, chopped cilantro, sautéed zucchini, etc.
Prepare your base
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly drizzle or spray oil (e.g., olive, canola) onto both sides of a corn tortilla.
- Place tortilla on a baking sheet and bake for about four minutes on each side. Keep an eye on it and remove when tortilla looks crispy and edges are lightly browned. Note: If making more than one tortilla base, spread them on the baking sheet in an even layer without overlapping.
While tortillas are baking, prep your toppings
- Tear or chop lettuce.
- Follow package directions to defrost frozen corn.
- Dice the tomato, avocado, and any additional toppings.
- Place beans in a microwave-safe container and heat at short intervals to warm.
Stack and eat
- Spread beans evenly on tortilla base. Pile on lettuce, then add your chopped tomato, avocado, corn, and any additional toppings. Finish with a sprinkle of cheese and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Crunch away!